4 tbsp oil
2 onions sliced/diced
2 tsp salt
15 red chillies
15 shallots/small onions
4 cloves garlic
2cm piece turmeric root or about
1heaped tsp of turmeric powder
10 buah keras/candlenuts
1tbsp(5cmx2.5cm piece) belacan/dried shrimp paste
4 stalks lemon grass
1 grated whole coconut + water to make 1cup thick milk & 3cups thin milk or
2tins coconut milk
Juice of 1 or 2 limes
1. Cut chicken down to bite size pieces or quarters.
2. Heat oil in wok or pot & lightly add sliced onions with salt.
3. Add ground ingredients & fry till fragrant.
4. While stirring, add a little coconut milk to make a paste & prevent the spices from burning.
5. Add in chicken & fry for a few minutes stirring & coating chicken pieces
6. Pour in thin coconut milk & cook over low heat for about 30mins or until chicken is tender.
7. Add in thick coconut milk before serving & once it comes back to the boil.
8. Remove from heat & pour in lime juice
9. Serve with rice or roti jala or toasted bread.