Sunday, January 7, 2007

The day of rest always reminds me of my mom's cooking and just how much I miss it and her as well. Today I thought of cooking one of her many main dishes which I always look forward to during my journey back to my Penang hometown.

My dutch friends here in KL loves this dish too. Its hard to cook for them cause they do not consume as much rice as we asians thus I have to prepare large portions of main dishes to satisfy their hunger. The pork version is crispier and crunchy as compared to chicken or fish. I personally love the sweetness of the pineapple garnishing which compliments the sour taste of the meat. Some of my friends shared that this dish goes very well with fruit tea or ice cold Cola and since I do not a big fan of carbonated drinks, I shall leave it to you guys to give that a try.


Ingredients
500 gm Pork Tenderloin
1 tbs Cornstarch
1 small Fresh GingerFresh Ginger
- sliced
1 tin of Pineapple Chunks
1 Green PepperGreen Pepper
- cored & seeded
1 tbs white Sugar
2 tbs Vinegar
1 tbs Soy Sauce
2 tbs Tomato Paste

Directions
To Prepare Meat
Cut the tenderloin into bite sized pieces
In a bowl, place pieces and mix with cornstarch
Heat oil in deep pan and fry meat until golden brown
Set aside

To Prepare Sauce
Add oil and ginger slices
Make a sauce from the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, green pepper, pinapple (or beet, for cool colour) juice and tomato paste
Mix well

To Serve
In the same pan, add meat and pineapple chunks and stir well
Simmer to reduce the sauce
If need, add cornstarch to make it thicken

Note: You can subsitute pork with chicken or fish.



Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 11:59 PM |


2 Comments:


At January 16, 2007 at 8:04 AM, Blogger Unknown

It's not your only dutch friends that do not eat so much rice. I think many locals are also eating less rice, especially during dinner time.

But we just eat all the lauk. hehe.

There are exceptions though. Sometimes, the dish that comes with sauce, then wah. eat 2-3 bowls of rice :-)

 

At January 17, 2007 at 1:17 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

3 Bowls of RICE???

I think my consumption rate of rice is still quite the same. At the beginning its a bit embarrassed to eat so much when my dutch friends don't but now they are used to see me eat... although very very very seldom 3 bowls of rice :p