Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My better half is feeling under the weather today and I rushed back from work earlier to tend to her. To be honest I did not have any peace of mind knowing she is by herself at home for the first time since she moved in with me. On my journey back I thought that some hot porridge would do her good.

Upon reaching home I cooked up a plain chicken porridge (congee) for her and set aside some other ingredients to make Century Egg Porridge for her friend who came over and myself. I guess I shall keep it slightly short today and tend to her needs.


Ingredients
150g rice - wash and soak for 1 hour in clean water
700ml chicken stock soup
150g chicken meat - marinate with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil and a dash of pepper
3 century eggs - shelled and diced
1 cooked salted egg - shelled and diced

Seasoning Ingredients
1 tsp chicken stock granules
1 tbsp garlic oil
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt to taste

Garnishing Ingredients
Chopped spring onions
Chopped Chinese parsley
Young ginger - cut into fine strips


Directions
1. Cook rice in the stock for 50 minutes over medium flame.
2. Steam the chicken meat for 10-15 minutes.
3. Leave to cool slightly, then shred the chicken meat.
4. Add in both types of eggs and seasoning into the congee.
5. Mix in the shredded chicken meat.
6. Prepare a serving bowl.
7. Add some ginger strips, a dash of sesame oil and soya sauce to the base of the bowl.
8. Dish out the congee into the bowl and add some garnishing and a dash of pepper.
9. Serve hot.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 1:21 AM |


8 Comments:


At January 16, 2007 at 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow, your better half is such a lucky woman! :D

I'm sure you're basking in the love too while cooking for someone you love dearly, aren't you?

I'm hungry now...

 

At January 16, 2007 at 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

wah so lucky..your blog has become a fave for me :D will link u soon :D

 

At January 16, 2007 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement... yeah I really love to cook and being able to see the joy on the faces of people who enjoys what I have prepared is priceless :)

Well... off to town now then.. YaWn!

 

At January 16, 2007 at 7:59 AM, Blogger Unknown

Hmmm you really love to cook, we all really love to eat. Perfect match? A win-win situation.

Anytime all of us can come over for the porridge? :-p

 

At January 16, 2007 at 8:07 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Well KeropokMan, from your blogs I can see you enjoy good food too. Fantastic! Gosh I miss Singapore's Chicken Rice. Perhaps you can FedEx a packet over to me? LOL

 

At January 16, 2007 at 12:13 PM, Blogger pablopabla

Simple and delicious. I shall have to pop in for a bowl one of these weekends ;)

 

At January 16, 2007 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

hahaha bro... we'll I practically licked the plate last night. We must really do a 2 dish dinner meal per person one of these weekends and publish it on our blogs. Wouldn't that be cool huh?

 

At January 18, 2007 at 4:18 PM, Blogger PabloPabla

Oh yes, that would be awesome!