Saturday, January 27, 2007

My kitchen is in a mess today as I am preparing for a potluck gathering tomorrow at my friend's house. All of us ex-colleagues from our time working with an e-commerce company years ago met up for drinks on Wednesday evening and throw types of food which we wanted to eat during the day. Each of us then pulled out the recipe from the glass and I got Satay. Oh well... thank god I didn't get Chicken Cordon Bleu which I nominated for.. Hahaha!

As I finished preparing and wrapping it all up to be refrigerated, I decided to cook a dozen for an early supper as I couldn't control myself (tak boleh tahan leh). Sadly I grinded the peanut sauce a little too fine as I prefer it to be chunkier but its already all prepared so what the heck... I'll do better the next time for sure.


Ingredients
1 1/2kg Chicken - deboned and cut into bite size pcs
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
10 ShallotsShallots
- diced
1 stalk Lemon GrassLemon Grass

2 tsp Cooking Oil
Bamboo Skewers

Tip: Soak the Bamboo skewers in water overnight to prevent the sticks from burning.


Seasoning Ingredients
1 tsp Cumin SeedsCumin Seeds

1 tsp Coriander SeedsCoriander Seeds

1 inch pc Turmeric
2 tsp Roasted Peanuts
1 tsp Sugar to taste
1/2 tsp Salt to taste

Peanut Sauce Ingredients
300gm Roasted Peanuts - pounded
1 inch pc GalangalGalangal

2 stalks Lemon GrassLemon Grass

1 inch pc GingerGinger

1 Large OnionLarge Onion
- sliced
3 tsp Ground Chilies
1/2 cup Tamarind Juice
Salt and sugar to taste



Directions - Prepare Satay
1] Grind the seasoning ingredients together but not till its too fine.
2] Marinate chicken pieces with seasoning ingredients, shallots, cinnamon powder and cooking oil
3] Thread 5 pieces of chicken on each skewer and place on grill
4] Brush chicken occasionally with oil until cooked and tender
5] Serve hot with peanut sauce, cucumber and onion slices.


Directions - Prepare Peanut Sauce
1] Fry onion slices till fragrant.
2] Add ground ingredients, ground chillies and tamarind juice.
3] Stir well.
4] Add salt and sugar.
5] Add peanuts and stir constantly until sauce is thick.



Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , , , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 12:25 AM |


4 Comments:


At January 27, 2007 at 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi Daryl, nice to see you here. I like how your chicken satay turned out. I am sure they are very tasty!

By the way, your cumin seeds 'link' is showing a lemon grass picture.

Question: Do you have to grind the seasoning ingredients (i.e. the cumin seeds, coriander seeds etc) before using that to marinate the chicken pieces?

 

At January 27, 2007 at 3:46 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

whoa.. thanks bro for bringing the 'link' issue up. Truly appreciate it.

In regards to your question... yea you have to grind them prior to marinating the chicken which I should have made clearer. I have already amended the post too.

Cheers!

 

At February 2, 2007 at 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I am not a guy la.

 

At February 2, 2007 at 2:26 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Woopsie... my humble apology ma'am