Tuesday, February 13, 2007

On Sunday evening, 8 of my better half's relatives came over for dinner and a few of them was their first time visiting our home. With so much pressure, I didn't want to disappoint them over this meal as I had a nightmare whereby the food might become the topic of conversation. So I prepared properly and thoroughly for this dinner.

As this was a more traditional chinese dinner, one of the dish I prepared was Kung Pao Chicken. I was so wary that I make sure all the ingredients were prepared and chopped that very morning. Do take note that this recipe is quite a large portion so divide it accordingly to your needs. I personally love the sweet taste with a tinge of spiciness to it.


Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs Boneless Chicken Breast - cut into small cubes
3 stalks CeleryCelery
- sliced
1 large Red or Green PepperRed or Green Pepper
- sliced
1/2 cup Cashew NutsCashew Nuts

3 cloves GarlicGarlic
- minced
3 Dried ChiliDried Chili
- crushed
1 stalk of ScallionsScallions
- cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Sauce Ingredients
4 tbsp Rice Wine
4 tbsp Hoison Sauce
2 tbsp Bean Curd Paste
1 tbsp Black Bean Sauce
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Red Pepper flakes

Marinade Ingredients
2 tbsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp Rice Wine
2 tsp Baking Soda



Directions
1] Slice and chop all necessary ingredients in advance.
2] Mix the marinade and then mix it with the chicken cubes.
3] Allow to sit for at least 1/2 hour.
4] Prepare the sauce by combining the wine and cornstarch
5] Wait until the cornstarch is incorporated then mix in the remaining ingredients together in a bowl.
6] Heat about 3 tablespoons of oil and stir fry the chicken until just cooked.
7] Set aside.
8] Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and stir fry the cashew nuts for about one minute.
8] Add the celery, garlic, scallions and red pepper and continue stir frying for three minutes.
9] Add in the chicken and stir fry an additional minute.
10] Reduce the heat and add the sauce and allow to simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes to thicken.
11] Toss to coat chicken and veggies with sauce.
12] Serve with steamed rice.



Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 3:05 AM |


1 Comments:


At January 29, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Blogger Gowri Chandra

I've been looking all over for an authentic Kung Pao recipe, I'm so glad I found your site. I can't wait to try it, thanks!