Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Wow... 2 of my blogs got tagged today with a totally different type of meme... very honored to say the least. Over here I had the pleasure to be tagged by my dear neighbour PabloPabla of Delicious Asian Food. I took nearly half of the day to ponder upon what I am going to share about myself and also the other blogs I would be tagging along on this ride. I just found out that some of those cool blogs I frequent have already been tagged earlier which shows just how unique they are but nevertheless I am going to tag just one of them again cause I love her blog so much... more on her later.

So without further ado... here goes:

1] I loved cooking since my childhood as my grandmother and mom are great cooks. My grandmother in particular have the gift to modify already awesome tasting dishes and making it even tastier. I remember one day I bought some dried indian curry chicken and upon tasting it, she knew exactly what ingredients required. She then cooked an improved version a week later and till this day I still crave for it every time I go back to Penang.

2] After I returned from my overseas studies I got involved in sales in the IT industry and after 3 years I decided to follow my passion and started my own restaurant at Batu Ferringhi, Penang by the beach. It was called Wood Fire Pizza Corner as that was our specialty. After about 6 months I opened up another nearer to the main road to attract local diners to balance the revenue during the off-peak tourist season. It was such tremendous joy to provide good food to people and making friends from all over the world during my time there. After 2 years I sold both of the restaurants and moved to Kuala Lumpur for 2 reasons... I fell in love and partly working 16hrs a day has taken its toll on me physically. So here I am today and still very much in love in my personal life and with cooking.

3] During my time at my restaurant, one of my staff accidentally poured carosine near the pizza stove and suffered 2nd degree burns on the right side of his body and face. I rushed him to the nearest hospital which is about 25mins away with my car. During the trip there were 2 things that will forever stay engraved in my memory. Firstly his crying and shouting due to the pain and secondly the pungent smell of brunt skin and hair. After that ordeal he went back to his hometown and I never saw him again since my visits to the hospital.

4] I am a diehard fan of online gaming since about 4yrs ago. The game I am totally devoted to currently is World of Warcraft. I have more time to concentrate on blogging these past few weeks cause I am unable to grab a copy of the new expansion here locally. Those who have some stocks are asking for double the retail price so I am just gonna wait till the next shipment arrive.

5] Besides cooking, playing online games, watching movies and travelling... my other secret passion is singing although I'm more of a singing in the shower type of person. When I was high school I entered the Penang inter school singing competition as a solo entry and came in 3rd. I lost to 2 very talented female singers and both of them were from Convent all girls school. Nowadays this passion of mine is confined to showers and in the car. Unfortunately I'm a little old for Malaysian Idol or else I might consider... LOL!


Alrighty then... drum rolls please... the following blogs are tagged with my sincere compliments for providing great recipes and fun quality content:

Rasa Malaysia - sweet lady with a great taste for food and carrying the Malaysian flag in the US of A! She really deserves another tag for her beautiful blog!

The Culinary Chase - charming Canadian lady residing in Hong Kong and boy can she cook and tell a story!

Singapura Daily Makan Photo - crazy Keropok from Singapore whose passion for food knows no boundaries! LOL!

Meanwhile, Back in the Kitchen - Inspirational Ms. Julie blessed with great taste and a wonderful writing skills.

Italian Food Recipes - Sweet tooth Elena for fueling my cravings for Italian food every single day. This one is also specially for you Pablo... since you love Italian food so much.


Time for bed... err... YaWn!

Labels: ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 12:45 AM |


8 Comments:


At February 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Woohoo! That was fast! And yes, I likey Italiano cuisine. Teach me some! Oh by the way...I need some 5-spice powder to make ngo hiang this weekend. Got some to spare? SMS me lah...

 

At February 7, 2007 at 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow, you made it good by following your passion - to start your own restaurant! I watched a HK drama serial in which the cook/chef sings while cooking so that the tune/song serve as a "timer". Eg you hum that favorite tune or sing that song during cooking -and that braised duck or chicken might be cooked just right after you're done singing :D
You do that ?

 

At February 7, 2007 at 6:45 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Pablo:
Inspired mah... hehehe! No more 5-spices powder liao lor but easy to make lar... just stop by Jusco lor.

Tigerfish:
Now that is an idea I've never thought of... hmmm! I wonder what medley to sing if cooking 3 dishes... LOL!

 

At February 8, 2007 at 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Sing a medley of songs or a whole series from some musical or top 3 favs of your favourite artistes/singer!

 

At February 9, 2007 at 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Thats an interesting meme. Nice way to know you more.I really liked the way you featured your co-bloggers.Keep up the great job and keep posting us with such mouthwatering delights!!Cheers!!Linda

 

At February 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Tigerfishy:
LOL... brilliant as always. Btw I finally linked to your blog which mind boggles me that it has taken me this long. :p

Linda:
Thank you so much for the compliment. In regards to my fellow co-bloggers... they are individually remarkably unique. Hope you enjoyed their blog as well and thanks for your visit.

 

At February 11, 2007 at 6:51 PM, Blogger Unknown

Daryl

after tagging me so long, i finally replied the meme! LOL...

5 crunchy keropok bites

 

At February 11, 2007 at 9:10 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Hehehe... about time man! LOL!