Sunday, January 28, 2007

Just got back home not too long ago and I am so tired. It was a wonderful event though I must say and glad to see some of them whom I rarely kept in touch with doing well. One of my old executives who was in my team is now residing in Hong Kong and getting married end of the year. She was indeed the highlight of the day as she met her husband to be on a flight to Hong Kong and he kept returning to Malaysia (on the pretext of business... lol) to see her. Well the good news is that he turned out to be a very very very wealthy businessman who was married to his business till he met her. So yeah... life is like a box of belacan huh?

Speaking of belacan, my friend called me so early in the morning today and asked me if I could make some homemade Penang Sambal Belacan for the event cause he thought it would go well with his dish. So I quickly went to buy some fresh red chilies at Jusco (nearest option) and made it for him. So today's recipe is a simple but treasured one... hope you guys enjoy it too.


Ingredients
10 fresh Red ChilliesRed Chillies

2 tsp Belacan (Shrimp Paste)
1 tsp Lime Juice


Directions
1. Pound the fresh red chillies.
2. Add in Belacan (shrimp paste) and just continue Pounding to mix.
3. Stir in the Lime Juice and serve.


Note: Notice the word 'Pound'? Cause thats the best way to make it instead of a blender.



Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 12:12 AM |


5 Comments:


At February 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

hi daryl,

never made sambal before so am just wondering if i can eat it just like that? do i have to cook the pounded ingredients at all? thanks in advance for your reply!

 

At February 7, 2007 at 10:17 PM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Hi there and welcome!

Yup you can eat it as it is. Usually as a spicy dip for vegetables or sort of a sauce during meals like you would tomato sauce. We simply love it here especially with Nasi Lemak.

 

At February 8, 2007 at 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

brilliant! thanks for your reply =)

 

At March 9, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi there
I was searching the net for a sambal to add to Mee Goreng. Our local Malaysian foodcourts add the belacan as I can taste the shrimp paste but the dish is also spicy and I suspect it is a sambal like this one that they are adding. Have you heard of this being added or have I got the wrong idea.
Cheers
Paul

 

At September 21, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Blogger "When Words R Not Enuf"

I just love ur blog..it is all abt foodies!!