Friday, March 2, 2007

I just turned 32 on the 27th Feb and celebrated with my relatives at my auntie's house. I have to admit it is quite a rare occasion to spend my birthday not being with my friends for dinner but it was a refreshing change. My aunt baked for me a grand Carrot Cake apparently her specialty which she has been proclaiming during the CNY holidays.

Although I am not a carrot kinda guy although under the chinese zodiac I'm a rabbit but I must admit this taste heavenly perhaps due to the sweet raisins. I really appreciate the effort it must have taken her to bake this and since I have not baked much myself, I believe it must have taken a lot of work. So I quickly ask her for the recipe so I can share it with all of you this recipe and in part acknowledging just how darn old I am. Cheerio!


Ingredients
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Baking Soda
1 cup Sugar
1 ts Salt
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp CinnamonCinnamon

4 EggsEggs

3 cups CarrotsCarrots
- shredded
2 cups Flour
1/4 cup RaisinsRaisins

1 cup WalnutsWalnuts
- chopped
1/3 cup Dry milk


Directions
1. In large bowl, blend oil and both sugars until well mixed. Add vanilla.
2. Beat in eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
3. Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture until well blended.
4. Stir in walnuts, raisins and carrots.
5. Pour batter into well greased and floured 10 inch tube pan or fluted pan.
6. Bake at 350f for 50-60 minutes.
7. Cool in pan, then top with powdered sugar or frosting of your choice.
8. Serve immediately or refrigerate especially if frosting is added.



Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Labels: , , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 12:32 AM |


3 Comments:


At March 2, 2007 at 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Happy Birthday to you!
I prefer the chinese fried carrot cake-chai tow kway. :D

 

At March 2, 2007 at 7:10 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Thanks so much TigerFish... yeah I love that one too. Might make it one of these days. :)

 

At March 9, 2007 at 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown

Happy Belated Birthday!

This recipe looks similar to the one my mum has. Nowdays many people use veg oil to make cakes instead of butter or margarine. It makes it so so easy too.