Thursday, March 8, 2007

Time to rekindle a favorite hometown dish of mine which is the ever well-known Char Koay Teow. This is a must have every time I make a trip back and my favorite is located at Bayan Baru actually. Most local tourists would most likely know the Sister's Char Koay Teow located at Macalister Road better due to the publicity but I find it too oily for my taste although the prawns they serve are truly gigantic to say the least.

I have tried in my numerous attempts to get it to taste as close as I can to the ones found in Penang but being slightly health conscious, I could not perfectly match it since I refuse to use lard cooking this dish. The good news is the following recipe which serves 5 person is still as tasty without going overboard. Hope you guys enjoy it!


Ingredients
250 gm Koay Teow (flat rice noodles)
150 gm Prawns - shelled
125 gm Bean SproutsBean Sprouts

5 stalks ChivesChives
- cut into 2cm lengths
100 gm Vegetable Oil
4 EggsEggs

2 Garlic ClovesGarlic Cloves
- chopped
2 tsp Ground ChiliGround Chili
(add more if you prefer it spicier)
2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
10 gm Cooked Crab Meat
Pepper to taste


Directions
1] Heat oil, add garlic and fry till fragrant in a very hot wok.
2] Add prawns and ground chili.
3] Stir-fry for about 15 secs.
4] Add koay teow, soy sauce and additional oil if neccessary.
5] Mix in vegetables and beansprouts.
6] Push mixture to edge of wok, add a little oil in centre.
7] Add and fry the eggs and then mix everything together.
8] Garnish with pepper and cooked crab meat.
9] Serve immediately when its hot.

Note: From my experience it taste better if cooked individually. Also make sure to use sufficient oil so the koay teow do not stick to the wok.



Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 3:56 AM |


15 Comments:


At March 8, 2007 at 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

you can never cook char keow teow without lard ... its just doesnt taste the same ...

and its a sin to be cooking char keow teow without lard!

SIN!

 

At March 8, 2007 at 6:10 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Yeah I DO agree with you but I just can't get myself to do it. LOL!

 

At March 8, 2007 at 7:55 AM, Blogger Sir Hoe

care to share where is the bayan baru shop you mentioned? I stay in that area and would love to know where I can get this :)

 

At March 8, 2007 at 8:03 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Hi Sir Hoe... thanks for the visit. The place I mentioned is near the end of KBJ or another way is via going towards Gelugor passing through the huge roundabout. Its just right behind the first Shell station on your left.

Its quite a large food court and the seller which is a couple have been doing it for over 20 years. Do let me know how it went.

 

At March 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hello, I popped over from PabloPabla's site.
I like your char kway teow recipe. Do you have any advice on how to separate the noodles? I bought fresh ones before and had a very very difficult time separating them into individual strands.

 

At March 9, 2007 at 1:08 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Hi there Sim... good to have your visit. I've tried soaking the koay teow for about 10mins in warm water and later leave it to to dry for a bit. It has always worked for me especially if the koay teow have been kept refrigerated for some time.

Cheers!
Daryl

 

At March 9, 2007 at 10:25 PM, Blogger Unknown

hmm... kuey teow soaked? how interesting.
i thought KT already quite oily and just seperates when you run them thru your fingers :)

 

At March 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Jumbo prawns, man! Oh ya, lard is the secret. But with your ingredients and seasoning plenty, I bet it just taste delish as well :D

 

At March 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM, Blogger Daryl W.T. Lau

Hehehe... well for a demanding fella like me, I think it turned out pretty good. Lard is definitely the standout ingredient so use it if you must.

 

At March 15, 2007 at 7:21 AM, Blogger Omni

I'm so hungry now!!

 

At March 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM, Blogger Chef Jeena

What a great Maylaysian blog, Your recipes look delicious :)


visit jeena's kitchen healthy recipe blog

 

At February 19, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Blogger Camemberu

Looks and sounds yummy, even if without lard. Do you ever add fish sauce or chye poh?

 

At April 30, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Blogger blueMarine

Ahhh I notice you don't use dark sweet sauce. Or is it only the Singapore version uses the sweet sauce?

 

At July 15, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

to those people who commented on the rice noodles being stuck together please note
A/ never buy if shop stocks in the fridge, they go hard and stick together.They should be stored at room temp. If in a hot country eat that night.Tomorrow they will probably be mouldy.
B/When bought at room temp, separate noodles first with your fingers, they separate easily. Do not break them.
C/ EGG. use an egg in the wok first. Break an egg in the hot wok and scramble, this lubricates the wok and prevents noodles from sticking. The egg also gets mixed up with the noodles and helps separate them when cooking.Cook dish hot and quick and do not over stir the noodles as they break into short lengths. Toss the wok rather than stir.
I cook these noodles for a job
cheers and thanks for the website.. great to see someone passionate about their food = )

 

At January 8, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I wonder where the couple went.The place you described is no longer in existence.I too love their koay teow!