Thursday, May 24, 2007

For dinner this evening, I decided to prepare a main dish which I can snack on while watching the live Champions League Final match later in case I grew hungry or if things don't go too well for Liverpool and I might need to munch on something which isn't going to be messy.

So I decided to go with Fried Sweet and Sour Spareribs which is one of my brother's favorite dish when he was young as I recall. I understand recently from my mom that he is now into fish though and thats good cause its healthier. All in all, this delightful dish takes quite some effort but the end result is more than worth it especially when you first sink your teeth into the tantalizing piping hot ribs.


Ingredients
750g Spareribs
1 tsp Rice WineRice Wine

1/4 tsp Salt to taste
2 tsp Flour
3 tsp Dry CornstarchDry Cornstarch

1 tbsp Soy SauceSoy Sauce

1 tbsp VinegarVinegar

2 tbsp Sugar
500ml Vegetable Oil
120 ml of Water


Directions
1. Chop the spareribs into pieces, 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 inch long (13mm by 20mm)
2. Mix with the rice wine and salt.
3. Mix the cornstarch with 1 tbsp water and pour it over the ribs.
4. Stir to coat it well.
5. Mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar , flour and water to make a sauce. Set aside.
6. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, or until small bubbles appear around a piece of scallion green or ginger tossed into the oil.
7. Add the spareribs and deep-fry until crisp, stirring to keep them from sticking together.
8. Remove and drain well.
9. Serve hot with streamed rice.



Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,



 
posted by Daryl W.T. Lau at 8:38 AM |


6 Comments:


At May 24, 2007 at 1:47 PM, Blogger Beans

Looks yummy... I hate deep frying stuff though... Hot oil scares me =P

 

At June 5, 2007 at 9:38 AM, Blogger Deborah Dowd

These look great and so does your blog! I will add you to my blogroll somy readers can take advantage of your recipes for Malaysian cuisine!

 

At June 9, 2007 at 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

That looks amazing!

 

At June 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I find myself salivating after your pic of sweet and sour pork ribs .... this means I'm away from home for too long. I need my dosage of local food soon.

 

At December 15, 2007 at 4:08 PM, Blogger Robert Nichols

Great blog, great information
rob

 

At January 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I’ll have to make a new rule for myself. Don’t come to your blog when I am hungry! Everything looks so delicious!